Thursday, April 30, 2009

Final Thoughts


Too Early to Say?

I've had a great time trying to express with entries to this blog what my semester in London has meant to me. (OK, to be honest, some days it was a trial.)

My concluding observation is not a very deep one, but each time I tell a story about the trip, whether to a dear friend or someone I barely know, I am overwhlemed by just how fortunate I am - to see what I've seen; to have done what I've done; to have all that I have. It's probably too early to say what the full impact of my experience is - will be. All of the grand and glorious clichés about studying abroad apply.

There are more than 50 entries on this blog, but they describe what seem like hundreds of experiences, each one better than the next. (Well, I really did think so at the time!) And although I reserve the right to change the lists provided below, here's what I would say today about the best of the best:

Academically, I could not have been more pleased with my internship. Matt and Freya offered me the opportunity to become familiar with every aspect of community theatre. We became friends and I hope to keep them in my life.

British Life and Culture was a tremendous experience. My interests in British Literture, Comparative Government, and love for the United Kingdom have only been magnified as a result of my semester with Professor Weight.

Surprisingly, I enjoyed the rigor of Macroeconmics. Despite a steady diet of 3 hour lectures, Professor Knight was clear, concise and really knew his stuff.

And personally, what were the best experiences? What should you look at if you just have a few minutes for this blog?

Lyme Park & Chatworth with the Travers family beats out my night on the set of Harry Potter by just a hair.

Those two events are closely followed by seeing the opening night performance of Romeo and Juliet at the Globe and my incredible trip to Scotland.

And yes, hugging James McAvoy comes in just slightly ahead of tea at Brown's with Mom and Dad. But wait, don't forget I saw 12 plays - 12 plays in four months!

So, sing with me .... Come on, I know you can do it!

"I've had the time of my life! No, I never felt this way before. Yes, I swear it's the truth and I owe it all to you."
Thanks sooooooooooooooo much, everyone.

No comments: